Saturday, May 28, 2011

Partin House Rules

I love the look of the subway art posters that are trending right now. I really like how it makes a visual impact and that you can put quite a few messages in one tight spot. I thought to myself...."Self, you can do that. You have Microsoft Word and a printer."  So, I attempted it.  It was harder than I thought it would be. Now you must remember, I am just learning to be crafty. I definitely learned a few things (as I usually tend to) during this project...


1. Your basic at home printer is only as good as the paper you put in it...duh. I'm sometimes too cheap for my own good...I had decided I wanted to craft a mat out of scrapbook paper and my cheap-o bright white printer paper just wasn't meshing well with it. I literally espresso stained some paper and tried to print on it before my darling hubby suggested I buy some nicer paper. BUY PAPER?, I thought? When I already have it on hand?!?!?!? But....he was right. Again. As usual.


2. Don't be cheap. Thought I just covered this? Clearly not thoroughly enough because I made a stupid mistake. Can you see the seam going up and down through the middle of the rules paper? That was me slicing out a big hunk of paper from behind the rules....hey, no one will see it anyway, right? Why not save some for another project? Duh....Not smart. It left the surface I decoupaged my rules to uneven, thus the seam....grrrr.


3. Use the best tools for the job. I used Microsoft Word because I know HOW to use it. I inserted a ton of little text boxes, set the font, colors and text and sized them all like a puzzle....it honestly took me over two hours to finish. I proudly showed it to the hubby when he woke up and he tells me it could have been made on Illustrator/Photoshop in less than half that time. I cant stand wasting time or money so I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to use the programs...I am a little bit of a techno-sissy.


Other things I used for this project- 


I had everything on hand so I didn't spend a penny on this project although I do need to replace the frame from my living room where there is now a blank wall.


11x14 black frame- took off a different wall
Krylon blue ocean breeze spray paint
2 pieces of scrapbook paper
x-acto knife
cutting mat
mod podge
designer printer paper (although I didnt realize the difference it would make)


All in all I am pleased with the way it turned out, though I do think that darn seam will probably bother me. What do you think?

1 comment:

Katrina said...

No whining hitting or yelling is my FAV!