Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eating Better #2

Addictive and Super Simple Steamed Broccoli-
When I say this is addictive, I mean it. I seriously eat this as a quick snack a few times a week.  And its so simple, if your kids are anything like mine they'll be eating it faster than you can make it.

The most important ingredient is a good steaming dish. Any good microwavable dish with a tight fitting lid with a vent will work. I suppose if you are super careful about watching it, you could probably use a non vented dish, just be careful. You can also adapt this recipe to use different herbs and spices or even different fresh veggies.

You will also need:
-a head of fresh broccoli
-2-3 pats of butter
-light sprinkling of garlic powder
-pinch of red pepper flakes
-kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

The Method:
-rinse your broccoli well and cut off florets with a sharp knife.
-I fill my small dish VERY full with the broccoli- it just seems to work better that way
-arrange butter slices on top of broccoli
-sprinkle with dry seasonings
-put your lid on tight and microwave for about 3 minutes.
 Microwave times will vary upon model and wattage.

That's it, let me know if your family likes it as much as we do....Maybe we are just odd?

No comments: