Monday, July 25, 2011

Blueberry Compote: Solving the Yogurt Dilemma






My kids love yogurt...
seriously, love it.

But, they don't all like the same kind.
Therein lies the rub.

Ethan likes fruited yogurts, but he doesn't like fruit mixed in.
Owen doesn't like even ONE TRACE 
of fruit in his (he is SO picky).
On the other hand, Stella will eat anything...?
So, what is a Mom to do?

Here is what I do:

I buy vanilla yogurt in a large container and give it to Owen as is...
I give Ethan vanilla yogurt with fruit topping and
I give Stella(who is under two and super messy) yogurt with fruit topping mixed in (to avoid stains).



I make a fruit topping anytime I have a small amount 
of fruit that I dont know what to do with 
or when something is spoiling needs used up.

It is beyond easy.
The pectins in the fruit act as a binder.





Blueberry Compote-
1 cup turning fresh blueberries
1-3 Tbsp of sugar*
¼-½ cup water**
*amount of sugar needed depends on the sweetness of your fruit, it is important to taste your fruit
**start with smaller amount of water...add more if needed so the fruit has something to cook in

Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and heat on medium to medium high heat, stirring often until berries have burst, and sauce has thickened. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to two weeks.


This fruit topping is great on yogurt, cheesecake, 
ice cream or even in smoothies or milkshakes.


No comments: