Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bathroom Scale Makeover

I cleaned and scrubbed my bathroom this morning.
As I was putting everything back, I considered throwing away my hubby's scale....shhhh.
I dont use it, it is insanely ugly and beat up, but I know he wouldn't be happy if I got rid of it.

With no money to buy a new one, which I would have preferred, 
I decided it was time to give this thing a facelift.

Here is what I started with:

Yuck, huh?
Actually, this is AFTER I cleaned and 
scrubbed it into oblivion...

And wrestling that sticky foot pad thingy
off was a chore...

It was rusty and gross...





Next, I decided what it needed was a
good coat of spray paint, my bathroom
rugs are black so I figured
a black base would be perfect.
Of course, I taped up the dial 
so I didn't get paint on it.








Then I painted it...
I got the edges and around the dial
really well but left the inside unpainted 
because I was going to put a piece of 
scrapbook paper on it anyway.





While my paint was drying, I picked out
my paper. I realize that it is probably
not a lifelong surface, but I will clear
coat it and when it wears out,
can hopefully just buy a new one...
I would say, "Hubby, I recycled
this once already, lets just get a
nice new one." and he'd agree.
ANYWAY, I picked this pretty
 blue and green because I am
painting my bathroom green
and its pretty dark so I
am hoping it wont show dirt.

After applying my old foot thingy to a sheet of paper (it was super sticky) and cutting it out, I had a template and cut my scrapbook paper with it.


It took a couple of "shaves" to get the hole
around the dial right...once I did,
I placed my paper on the scale to 
see how I liked it....

I like it...
But...
Its not right yet.

Those corners have got to go.







So off they came,
I used a rounded corner punch.







First, I glued her down...
Then I put a thick coat of
Mod Podge on top.
Don't worry...
it will dry clear.

Take care to smooth out any
bubbles and rub the edges down
to get a good, secure seal.





Then, let it dry...for a while, like hours...sigh. 
I hate waiting, I am so impatient.

After watching the clock for an hour, I spray painted a clear coat on top of the scale
and once it was dry, I stood back and admired what was once an UGLY, rusty mess.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's Awesome, Not only because of the nice 'new' scale, but this blog. Who new? Good for you! Joe

Unknown said...

That is such an awesome idea! I might just have to copy it! :)