Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nothing says LOVE like homemade noodles...

I love carbs, sure they want to glue themselves to my midsection, but I love them still...
NOODLES have got to be my #1 favorite carbohydrate. I love pasta.
Sometimes, I find a dish at a restaurant that I like so much I have to learn how to recreate it.
This one was inspired by Bob Evans Chicken and Noodles.

  • I started with a whole chicken, cut the legs, wings and thighs off and set them aside.
  • Then, I took the carcass with the breasts still attached and cut the breast meat off and put it aside as well. (I wrapped the breast meat up and put it in the fridge for another dish because I have learned to skimp on meats in casseroles and soups...saves money and calories)
  • I washed and cut 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery and one large sweet onion into huge chunks, set aside.
  • In a large, hot stock pot (med-hi), add about a 1/4 cup of olive oil and your veggies, legs, thighs and wings, breastless carcass, S + P, a big pinch of rosemary and thyme, 1/2 tsp. each of poultry seasoning and garlic powder, 3 whole bay leaves and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Sautee everything together on medium high heat, letting everything brown up on all sides....this means you have to stir often and keep an eye on it....it will probably take ten minutes.
  • After everything is nicely, LIGHTLY browned, add about 2 gallons of water and bring it all up to a rolling boil.  Boil mixture for about 10 more minutes and take off the heat. REMOVE CARCASS AT THIS POINT BEFORE ALL THE TINY BONES START TO FALL APART!
  • After its cool enough to handle, remove the veggies, garlic, bay leaves, chicken parts and any other solids from the soup and set aside. 
  • Put the broth back on the heat and lightly boil it down, reducing the liquid by about half, then take off the heat and add half a stick off butter.
  • Once your chicken pieces are cool enough to hold, pick all the little yummy bits of chicken off the bones and put it back in your broth.
  • Bring back to a boil and add your noodles, I have not been able to find the type I was looking for in the store, so I decided to make my own. I wasn't crazy about the results so I am not going to post the recipe, but it was just a standard egg noodle cut thick. 
  • Once your noodles are cooked through, taste your broth and adjust your salt and pepper as needed.


No comments: